Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Podcasting

Well, this week I have been very fortunate in that my blogs and e-mails have helped me with my assignments. I got my YouTube from my Western Mass. Regional Library System blog, and now I got my podcast partly through my e-mail. It is Robert Maier from the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners talking about the impact question number one would have on libraries. They had a link to it in my e-mail, but it didn't work. So, I used google and typed in maier podcast. That wasn't narrow enough; It brought up a lot of other Maier's. So I had to type robert maier podcast to take me to Sunrise Radio Podcast, UMASS Lowell, Public Radio, and to the interview with Robert Maier. I have been hearing about the negative effects it will have on libraries, but I needed to hear it from someone with a lot of knowledge of the situation. I learned that eliminating the state income tax would cut 40% of the Commonwealth's budget. However, cuts would not be made equally across departments. Some departments might suffer little or no cuts at all. Libraries would be in jeopardy. The regional library systems for transporting materials across the state would be gone. Databases would be gone. State Aid to public libraries would be gone. Requirement to serve other residents of certified libraries would be gone. Funding for automated networks would be gone. This is during a time of difficult economic times when people are using libraries more than ever, circulation is at an all time high, number of programs is at an all time high, and the number of people attending program is at an all time high. I found the interview very informative, but was hopeful, because right now the pollster's indicate the elimation of the state income tax will not pass. I hope not, especially because I live in Connecticut and cannot vote no!

No comments: